Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Don’t Do What Others Do

Job hunting season is starting soon. After my internship at the private equity firm last summer, i'm more convinced than ever that doing what you like is an important search criteria for me. Quote from a friend who had lunch with me during my internship, "Why do you look so radiant?" - how can i not look radiant if i'm having so much fun at work? haha. Deciding to work for free (for internship) was my best idea in 1H09.

Looking through a bunch of websites to look for asset management company that would probably be a good fit with my personal belief that investment decision should be bottom up, research and valuation driven, and long term in nature. I hope I'll thrive in a company where all employees share the same fundamental ideas and approach.

One of the fund house that i was looking at has an investment process that i think can truly provide excess return over the long run. I enjoyed the annual report which detailed the purchase and sell decision for certain stock also the interview by the chief investment officer on how best to invest. In summary, Don’t Do What Others Do, read the article here.

My take on being contrarian does not mean simply buying whatever is falling in price. Averaging down only works when you are RIGHT. If not, it simply means you are throwing good money after bad. It does not mean buying low PE stocks and shorting high PE stocks, the low PE stocks maybe may deserve its PE due to its poor return on capital or low growth potential.

Investment success comes when the investment public fails to recognise the potential of a company and there is mispricing going on.

My dad asked me why after reading so many annual reports, i only buy a few stocks for his portfolio which i told him to expect a return averaging 5-7%. I told him cuz if i venture far away from what i think i know (enough about), i run the risk of seriously impairing his retirement savings.

Why risk something you have for something you don't need?

No comments: