Monday, May 19, 2008

The first post

Started this blog cuz a few friends (Zhao Bin, Jie Chao, and Guo Wei) asked me to start one. Xin Hong's blog offers me my weekly dose of inspiration. Thus on a smaller scale, i hope that i can provide anyone out there with something to think about. It is also an avenue for me to improve my really lousy writing skills.

I have no idea how often will i blog. But i'm quite sure that it will consists of my random musing on topics related to investing, current readings and stuff that interest me.

Why is this blog called "A different box of tools"? Cuz i'm trying to cure my 'man with hammer' ailment. Charlie Munger, "to the man with a hammer, every problem tends to look pretty much like a nail." I hope that i could counter this common problem by having different set of tools to handle different problems by borrowing from major diciplines, economics, psychology, physics, etc. So do expect pretty random posts.

On 'Chutzpah' (see link). Don't quite know what to choose as the address. As Chutzpah-unlimited is not taken, so here it is. Love this word as some of the people i admire use it frequently, Charlie Munger, Richard Feynman, etc. And i also like the sound of it too; huzt-pah (huzt sounds like hertz without the 'r').

Alright enough randomness. Next post will be about Richard Feynman - Nobel Prize winner, bongo drum player and safecraker. Hey, this guy is way more eccentric than me! yippeee!!!

I love this quote from one of his very famous lectures;

We absolutely must leave room for doubt or there is no progress and no learning. There is no learning without having to pose a question. And a question requires doubt. People search for certainty. But there is no certainty. People are terrified—how can you live and not know? It is not odd at all. You only think you know, as a matter of fact. And most of your actions are based on incomplete knowledge and you really don't know what it is all about, or what the purpose of the world is, or know a great deal of other things. It is possible to live and not know.

-"What is and What Should be the Role of Scientific Culture in Modern Society", given at the Galileo Symposium in Italy, 1964.

2 comments:

Mrs Sharon Sim said...

Do you need a loan to pay off your bill or in need of financial help with a loan you can contact us now for a loan if you are serious in getting it surely we will help you out via Email {urgentloan22@gmail.com}

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

Unknown said...

My name is.Mrs.Juliet Quin. I live in Canada and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $ 73,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $ 73,000.00 Canada Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs.Juliet Quin that refer you to him. Contact Dr Purva Pius via email: reply to email (urgentloan22@gmail.com)