Saturday, January 17, 2009

Home away from home

This week the weather is really a killer. On a good day its -10 degrees and on a cold day its -27 degrees!!! I'm wearing 5 layers and has given up walking to school in the morning. 2 weeks away from mid term exams. Have to start mugging. Haha. Didn't expect to study hard for this exchange, but i guess i'll do so anyway.


Did my home cooked meal today. Since I'm just feeding me myself and I, cooking is really quite a hassle. But i managed to prepare my Lemon Chiken Rice meal today. It cost 8 CAD to buy this outside. Prepare at home, the chicken i bought + sauce + veg prob cost less than 3 CAD. Of course have to do some allocation of overhead and labour cost. Haha, but how to measure the sense of satisfaction of creating ur own meal :)



Going healthy here, my landlord eats organic food and such. So my chicken rice is BROWN RICE. My daily bread is Organic Whole Meal Bread.







What a better way than to end off a meal with a cup of hot chocolate and home made (organic) apple pie.








My landlord and morning walking buddy 'jack', i still don't think he's 66.


Gosh! I think my double chin is getting more prominient! gotta wear more scarf!!! ~correct ans would be to exercise. Haha.




A small ski slope 15 mins away from where i stay.






Spencer - a really old dog and quite friendly to me.




-------------------------------------------------------------------




When i reached home yesterday, i was shocked and moved by the news of the airplane that 'crashed' in to the Hudson river. Leaving minutes after leaving La Guardia Airport, both engines of the plane went down (probably due to some stupid birds flying into it). Not finding a place to land, the pilot took the decision to land on the Hudson River, between New Jersey and New York City. Minutes after this crash landing, all 155 passenger (& 1 baby) and crew was saved from the sinking plane by other boats on the river. A miracle.


U can see that people are standing in the frigid Hudson river on the wings of the plane waiting for help. They were mostly calm. Hypothermia probably would have been deadly if any one feel into the river.




This once again emphasis the importance of regular re-training. Mentally rehearse for all possible scenarios, unlikely as it might sound. And the importance of keeping calm during uncertainty and that a great team is surely more than the sum of the parts.

No comments: