Saturday, March 14, 2009

One Short Day in the Emerald City

I'm currently laptopless as i've sent my aging (not so gracefully) Acer for repair after 2 days of grueling phone marathon with Acer Canada to get it fixed. Something like Jie Min's laptop, the screen just turns a greyish green after i switch it on. Hope it would comeback to me in a week's time. Meanwhile, I'm using the school's computer to check emails and stuff, but couldn't update facebook. Gotta install Firefox (secretly) to access my blog. haha.


Spent the last weeked in NYC. It was the most amazing weekend ever! I got to watch 2 of my favorite musicals - Mary Poppins and Wicked!!!


I remember that the Mary Poppins soundtrack was one of the first CDs that i memorized the lyrics from the first track to the last. The stage version is just as magical as the movie starring Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke. We have to give it Disney to re-create something so special every night on stage. Some things you expect of a Disney production - beautiful costumes, choreography and great actors are of course there. But there are wonderful surprises for all - like Bert tap dancing across the stage (not on the ground mind u, but on the pillars) and the wonderful Mary Poppins flying on and off stage with her super powerful umbrella. I was half tempted to buy one of those ridiculosly priced items after show! haha.

The next night, i tried my luck with the lottery at the Wicked booth. Thanks Playbill! for getting me affordable tickets so many times!


There were about 180 people queing for 27 tickets. And i was the first name called ~ Looiii Wee! I guessed it was me, so i rushed forward with my heart pounding and blood rushing to my ears! I guess i got lucky because i went alone, so i got the 26 + 1 odd man ticket. Odd man indeed...


It was a first row seat, and the whole experience was amazing. I swear that i caught Glinda looking at me twice! Maybe she's wondering who's that freak that knows all the lyrics to the songs. Whoohoo. Alli Mauzey who plays Glinda sings well, but what was exceptional was her comic timing. The audience laughed so hard during her rendition of Popular, which was like a sultry + legally blond version. Nicole Parker was the new Elphaba, a good singer and u can really feel that the 2 actors were connected on stage. During the song - For Good, Glinda's voice wavered a little as u can see some tears in her eyes. The harmony for that song wasn't perfect, but the raw emotions on display were.

It was such a wonderful experience. Just hope that my family and friends were here to share my joy and excitement :)

By the way, i was in New York for an interview. It went ok, but i'm up against very strong candidates. Hope i did well enough to secure an intership, but like i often say, its the process that matters. Good process + Good outcome = Deservedly so. Good process + Bad outcome = unlucky. Hopefully i belong to the first category.

Till i get a chance to use my computer in school again or get my laptop back....Aidos!

No comments: