Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Only Human

Reading through some annuity document and came across the mortality statistic for Singapore.

http://www.singstat.gov.sg/pubn/popn/lifetable06-08.pdf

Looking at the 2008 figures, for Males at the age of 24, I have a 0.00055% chance of dying within the next year. And expectation of life at 24 is 54.9 => I'm expected to live till 78.9.

So long term compounding is in my favour.

Female on average lives 4.8 years longer than males. How to explain this? Due to genetic makeup, willingness of female to seek 'social living' post retirement, male not willing to seek medical help when suspecting illness and i've got a 4th theory of my own --> Because the wife is always right in most relationship, the husband '气死了'.

Of course the 'expected' is not to be expected. I shall aim to 'beat' the expectation. Haha.

No comments: