Friday, October 30, 2009

On a Clear Day You Can See Forever

I've made my choice. I've decided to join the accounting profession.

Note the word profession.

This is not a job. But a Profession.

As stated by David Maister, True Professionalism is about having "the courage to care about your people, your clients, and you career".

If not for my exchange, I would never come across David Maister's book, I would not think about joining a professional service firm, and I would still be looking for that ever elusive dream job.

Work for a company that you admire; I think PwC fits that choice. Audit may not be the most exciting job in the world, but I truly believe that it is a job that allows you to develop your business knowledge and ability communicate effectively with people who probably think you're a pest. It also provides a social good to the society at large. Wherever this road may lead, I don't know. But I know i will not treat this as a JOB, but as a chance to learn and grow myself, to be the best colleague and learner the firm has ever seen.

After looking at many auditors who are in their 30s with dry and sallow looking skin, I need to start drinking collagen soup and bring humidifier to the office. Haha. A friend said that I'll still get the same 'dry look'...let's see if i can defy age and gravity....mmm...maybe its time for me to have a portrait like Dorian Grey....looking at Ivan Albright's portrait...well maybe not.

A decision 6 years in the making. I'm happy.

No comments: