Saturday, October 10, 2009

Over coffee

I was the emcee for a friend's wedding today. Congrats once again to the beautiful couple Ying Jian and Wee Ling. Ying Jian is one of the most generous seniors I met when I was in year 1. When I was still struggling with the difference between operating income and operating cash flow, he was the only person who explained these accounting concepts to me in a easy to understand and intuitive manner. There is no expectations for any favors in return for such actions, but kindness and generosity are rare and precious, thus I'll always be thankful that there was once a Y3 who bothered to answer simple questions from a Y1.

Had a nice long chat with ZB and Joel. It has been too long since we talked. I'm always thankful for my experience in E.y.E, and how these two wonderful human being has helped me learn and grow. Super happy that ZB managed to get what he wants, if anyone deserves a ticket to success, its ZB.

Talked about our time in E.y.E, bitched a little about these and that. And then loh wei had to talk about morbid stuff. tsk tsk tsk. luckily i've got two accommodating friends who allowed me to rant. Talked about trading youth and time for career, money, and prestige. Is it worth it all?

We worked so hard to strive for excellence, to work for something...what if at the end of the day, the prize is not what you want?

Sometimes i wonder if being blissfully unaware that there is a 'better' world out there is truly a blessing. Awareness makes living clear, but it may lead to a lot more pain. Sometimes I feel that I torn from within, to search for an answer that may not exist.

As we lay in our coffin on the last day, who will attend our funeral? who will weep for us? who cares? why do i care...a dead man can't care.

Learnt a new word from "The Elements of Style" today: "Hopefully".

"This once-useful adverb meaning “with hope” has been distorted and is now widely used to mean “I hope” or “it is to be hoped.” Such use is not merely wrong, it is silly. To say, “Hopefully I’ll leave on the noon place” is to talk nonsense. Do you mean you’ll leave on the noon plane in a hopeful frame of mind? Or do you mean you hope you’ll leave on the noon place? Whichever you mean, you haven’t said it clearly. Although the word in its new, free-floating capacity may be pleasurable and even useful to many, it offends the ear of many others, who do not like to see words dulled, or eroded, particularly when the erosion leads to ambiguity, softness, or nonsense."


No comments: